Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

240Z replacement bushings and upgrading suspension (springs and struts)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240Z replacement bushings and upgrading suspension (springs and struts)

Has anyone had any experience with the Energy Hyper-Flex Urethane Bushing Kit or Prothane Total Kit Urethane Suspension Bushing Kit from WHP? I'm gonna need a full replacement on my 240z as they are all extremely old and worn, and not sure if this is every bushing that should be replaced. Any help or pointers would be awesome (FYI not a track car, won't be racing it, just looking for the optimal replacement/best bang for my buck.)

As for the springs, ideally I wouldn't really like to drop it more than an inch and a half at tops. For struts I'm leaning towards the Tokico HP HZ3015 Front Gas Strut Insert for fronts and Tokico HP HZ3016 Rear Gas Strut Insert for the rears. Ideally I wouldn't like to spend all my money on the struts and of course I want the best I can get as I plan on keeping this car until I'm well into my 60's but if these struts are overboard and I won't really notice the difference between these and something like the KYB Excel-G/GR-2 Front Gas Strut Inserts unless I'm cornering hard on a track let me know! Any feedback on this would be awesome!

Well before you go too far, you need to ask yourself a few questions. What is the current condition of your car? What do you want to do with it? drive it to work? track only? Travel/cruise? etc. Then come up with a budget of what you are willing to spend on the car total and or annually (since you said you plan on keeping the car a long time)
    ​As for some experience, I have the prothane kit from WHP and tokico inserts. Nicely firm but still comfortable enough to drive on the street. I have no plans to track this particular Z (1981 280zxt). When simply refurbishing a Z with new stock rubber bushings will make your car feel like a night and day difference vs 40 year old cracked/worn rubber. You WILL notice the difference. These cars are old, and lets face it, these types of mods have been tried and proven for many years now. It is about as plug and play as you can get with all these "kits" specially designed for our cars.
    Zen is finding a bolt on your Z that is not rusted solid
    1981 280ZXT
    VG30ET Powered 280Z sold and missed
    Sixteen other various Z's
    Ontario Z Car Member #002

Comment

The car condition is rough, but my plan is to rebuild the full thing including getting the full paint and getting bad panels cut out and new ones rewelded in. Honestly I canít see myself ever making the z into a track car, I might take it to the track a few times every year or so if I get the chance but it will strictly be a street car for the most part. I wonít be racing it, shocks and struts gotta be replaced, Iím just going piece by piece and suspension is the next thing in my list. As for what Iím looking to spend, i donít really care too much I already know Iím looking at roughly 50-55k invested by the time itís fully ďfinishedĒ (including buying the car) but as much as Iím willing to spend that money Iíd rsther spend less than more of course. The car is from a family member that passed away and Iím finishing it in his memory with some minor touches for me. Unfortunately Iím only only able to do about one major thing a year, this past year was engine and exhaust so this time around is full suspension (bushings and shocks/springs). I want it to handle as well as it can obviously and Iím sure I will put it through some minor abuse but nothing to the degree of drifting and cornering hard on a track.

Comment

By your description, stick with a more standard suspension upgrades as you get the rest of the car in shape. Nothing wrong with eibachs and tockico shocks and a full urethane bushing kit. Dead simple, and it works. Don't worry about larger sway bars or a rear bar if your car is not equipped. I'm sure a urethane steering coupler is available, but I used an NHL regulation hockey puck for more than 15 years on my Z. Good luck and show us some pics of the car.
        Zen is finding a bolt on your Z that is not rusted solid
        1981 280ZXT
        VG30ET Powered 280Z sold and missed
        Sixteen other various Z's
        Ontario Z Car Member #002

Comment

i updated every single bushing in my car to urethane, including steering rack which was a pain in the ass. I changed everything. Everything. Used tokico illummina adjustables and eibach springs. Rides like new. Good stance.Settled to about 1.5 inches lower. If you want to autocross etc, go full adjustable height coilover for proper full suspension travel. Make sure you use bump steer spacers esp if you are going with bigger rims.

Comment

I doubt Iíll ever be racing this z, itís a rebuild for a family member who passed so itís built to my liking but in his memory, thanks for the help you guys appreciate it! Just trying to know what will work best and what you guys have had experience with!

Comment

Working...
            X